Why It All Started:
The Jacobs Family grew up on the East Coast of Ireland where they were spoiled with
the abundance of fresh Atlantic Salmon that was smoked in the best of Ireland's
traditions. These time-honored techniques captured and enhanced the flavor and texture
of this great fish.
The Family emigrated to America in the mid-1980's and for nearly a decade, sought
after smoked salmon that resembled that of their homeland. Although they enjoyed
the best of the Pacific Northwest's Smokehouses, they have never found anything
quite like the smoked fish from home.The Jacobs Family have been smoking salmon
now for 10 years and sharing it with family and friends. After several years of
continued requests, the Jacobs have finally decided to make their smoked salmon
available to the world... and so began "The Smokery".
Today, “The Smokery” is HACCP approved, and under the regular supervision of the
Oregon Department of Agriculture.
Why our smoked salmon is so different:
- We start off with the best quality ingredients – we do not use MSG, or other
artificial additives, or preservatives.
- We smoke fresh every week and ship web orders within days – we never freeze
- We use about half the amount of salt in our brines – this enables the natural
flavor of the salmon to be enjoyed.
- We retain most of the oils (Omega-3) in the salmon with our unique smoking process,
so our product is moist and flavorful.
- We are one of the few companies that smokes Ivory (White) King Salmon – only
1 in a 1000 Kings are pure white. Ivories have a slightly different chromosome make-up,
so they don’t retain the carotene coloring from the food they eat – this results
in a pure white flesh, more of a buttery texture & flavor, and approx. 20 %
higher levels of Omega-3 fatty acids.